Wednesday 6 August 2014

AIPAS INTERVIEWS - Shades of Phoenix

Today we are joined by Teneil from Shades of Phoenix as part of our series of Aussie Indie Polish Maker interviews. 


Shades Of Phoenix




What got you into the Indie Polish scene, and how long have you been making polish?


Shades Of Phoenix was launched in January 2013. It all came about when I had spinal surgery in August 2012 and had a lot of time on my hands with recovery. I was only able to sit for 20 minutes at a time and started painting my nails and doing nail art to keep myself occupied and focused. Once I got in to the blogging scene I was opened up to a whole new world and my brain went crazy with ideas. I’d always struggled to find my passion and never really felt I fit in with anything until I found Indie Polish and Shades Of Phoenix. 


What was the first Shades Of Phoenix polish?


Now that is a hard question because it was so long ago now. I believe the first polishes were Hades and Poseidon. They were the first time polish I sat down and played around with and to this day they are still favourites of mine.


Inspiration can be drawn from a wide variety of things.  What are your main sources of inspiration?


History, mythology, and things I love. I try to be different when it comes to my inspirations and how my polishes come about. They generally come about or a reason and purpose within a collection.


Please share with us some of your greatest polish achievements.


I love this question because sometimes with all the hard work and sometimes heartache that goes with running your own business you can forget about the achievements. Shades Of Phoenix's first achievement was securing our first International stockist only 4 months after opening – something I never thought would happen. Then about 2 months ago, Shades Of Phoenix was stocked in our first in-store location in a small town Rockabilly store, and has been doing really well with an exclusive collection. Our next achievement will be attending our first Markets at the beginning of August with a few others already teed up. 


What do you love the most about making polish?  Dislike the most?


I love being able to be creative, be myself. I have loved everything to do with art and being creative since before I could walk.  It is amazing to be able to have the control to create whatever I see in my mind. It's even better when others like it as well. What do I dislike the most? I mess I make; I am a clean freak so struggle a little with the mess and smell when mixing. I also dislike the financial side of having a business just like most adult responsibilities.


What would be one thing that people might not know about being an indie polish creator?


This question really stumped me. I guess there's a lot people don’t know, don’t realise or just don’t even think of when it comes to being an Indie Maker. All that’s important is to know that Indie Makers are just as polish obsessed as everyone else. 


Is there a particular style of polish that your brand is known for?


Glitter packed Jellies!


If you could only make one type of polish from now on, what type would you choose? (creme, glitter, etc)


Glitter packed Jellies! Haha I love glitters, especially holo glitters.


What would be your ultimate fantasy polish to make?  If chemistry and physics were no obstacle?


A polish made from stars. Real glowing, twinkling stars.


If someone could only buy two of your polishes, which two should they buy to get a good idea about your brand?


My main man, Poseidon, and a newbie that’s yet to be released, Wildfire. Both show my love for holo glitters but in two different ways. (PS Keep an eye out for Wildfire)


Where do you see your brand going in the future?  What is the next big thing for Shades of Phoenix? 


The dreams keep getting bigger and bigger for the brand, and the hope that they will come true runs thick through my veins. Shades Of Phoenix is my passion, my best friend and life all rolled in to one. So I can only hope for bigger and better things in the future. I have and will keep sacrificing for the brand so I can keep bring new things to the nail community.


Do you have any new releases?


Up All Night Trio - now available

Pretty Poison Collection - 8 August 2014

Wildfire - TBA


Fan Questions: 


WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE MUSIC TO MIX POLISH TO?

I have a paid Spotify account so I always have that going in the background and about once a week surf the net for new music. I love up beat things that get me singing whilst I’m mixing. 

DO YOU HAVE ANY GOOD LUCK CHARMS/TALISMANS AROUND WHEN YOU ARE MAKING POLISH MAGIC? WHAT ARE THEY?

I always have one or the two cats around when I’m home creating. They don’t help much but they are a good comfort for myself.

WHAT DO YOU WATCH WHILE MIXING POLISH?

I sometimes have movies playing the background, most of the time its either LOTR or The Hobbit & Clash of The Titans – just some inspirational faves.

WHAT COMES FIRST, THE POLISH OR THE NAME?

For me it’s the name/collection. I love to give either a history lesson or teach people something about the name of the polish

WHAT WAS THE POLISH THAT STARTED IT OFF FOR YOU?

The first indie I ever bought was two bottles of Emily de Molly. I loved the personal customer service and the quality of the product. I see both Emily de Molly and Pretty Serious as brands that I aspire to be like and inspirations.

WHY DO YOU THINK PEOPLE BECOME OBSESSED WITH INDIE POLISH?

I’m still trying to work out how I became obsessed. I think the personal feel of knowing a brand is handmade is amazing.


Do you have anything else to share?


I want to say thank-you to not only the Aussie Indie Fan community but to the other Aussie Indie makers who have really helped put Aussie brands on the map, I’ve made some great friends in the community as well as the tight knit Maker community.

Also, some old favourites have been discontinued and marked down on the website. Aphrodite, Dionysus, Zeus, Eros, Erzulie and Phoenix 2.0 have all been marked down to $8.00 - get them before they are gone forever!




If you are interested in finding out more about SHADES OF PHOENIX, we have included the store, stockist and social media information below.  Thank you for sharing your time with us, Teneil.

*~’`^`’~*-,._.,-*~’`^`’~*-,._.,-*~’`^`’~*
Teneil has kindly offered a special 10% discount code for AIPAS members, which can be found in the AIPAS Facebook group announcing the interview.
*~’`^`’~*-,._.,-*~’`^`’~*-,._.,-*~’`^`’~*



No comments:

Post a Comment