Wednesday 12 March 2014

AIPAS Interviews - Celestial Cosmetics

Today we are joined by Nicki from Celestial Cosmetics for the first in our series of Aussie Indie Polish Maker interviews. 







What got you into the Indie Polish scene, and how long have you been making polish?


In June 2012 I decided it was time to stop biting my nails.  I decided to start making polish for myself in January 2013, and from there my husband said they were too nice to keep to myself and in April 2013 Celestial Cosmetics officially launched.


What was the first Celestial Cosmetics polish?


Celestial Night 

Celestial Cosmetics - Celestial Night



Inspiration can be drawn from a wide variety of things.  What are your main sources of inspiration?


Most of my inspiration is drawn from things I see in my daily life. It could be a car, a bird, the sky.  I like to keep an open mind and I think I interpret  colours in many different ways.


Please share with us some of your greatest polish achievements.


I think my greatest achievement to date was being able to stock with international stockists Mei Mei Signatures, Edgy Polish and Color4Nails.  Color4Nails now stocks all our current polishes, and they all ship worldwide.

My personal achievement was that I started out making polishes on my own.  In the last few months it has become a family affair.  My son is involved in all the technical aspects of the business and my husband will help wherever he can.  He is especially good at packaging, and has some good ideas for polish creations.  Having my own dedicated polish room is also a huge achievement.


What do you love the most about making polish?  Dislike the most?


I love creating polishes and I find that if I need to relax, that’s where I head to.  I don’t find it a chore, I zone out and am so relaxed after working in my polish room.

I don’t think there is anything I dislike as such, but I do find packaging is a slightly less exciting.


What would be one thing that people might not know about being an indie polish creator?


I think a lot of people presume we make a lot of money, and that is not true.  Being an indie polish creator takes a lot of time, dedication and money especially whilst you are establishing your business.  The Australian market is also very difficult to break into.


Is there a particular style of polish that your brand is known for?


I love making holo’s and they seem to be loved by my customers.


If you could only make one type of polish from now on, what type would you choose? (creme, glitter, etc)


Once again it would be holo’s.


What would be your ultimate fantasy polish to make?  If chemistry and physics were no obstacle?


A matte holo (not using a matte topcoat over a holo).  I can picture what it would look like but it’s impossible to explain.


If someone could only buy two of your polishes, which two should they buy to get a good idea about your brand?


That is so hard, it’s like picking a favourite child.  I think I would go for Celestial Night and Blitzen’s Budgie Smuggler.

Celestial Cosmetics - Blitzen's Budgie Smuggler



Where do you see your brand going in the future?  What is the next big thing for Celestial Cosmetics?


I have so many plans and ideas, but not everything is possible for a handmade product.  I would love to be stocked by an exclusive chainstore, so that is what I am working towards. 


Do you have any new releases?


I have some new releases that will be available 1st April.  I am sorry but I don’t have sneak peaks at the moment, but keep an eye on our Facebook page and Instagram.


Fan Questions: 


What is your favourite music to mix polish to?  

INXS

What comes first, the polish or the name?  

Definitely the polish.  Once I see the finished product the name usually follows with ease.

Why do you think people become obsessed with indie polish?   

I believe we all strive for the highest quality polish and the best customer service.  You don’t always get that from main stream brands.


Do you have anything else to share?


We will be celebrating our 1st Anniversary on 25th April.  There will be a variety of offers available from 1st April leading up to the big day.  I will be announcing the details of each offer as they happen on our Facebook page.


If you are interested in finding out more about Celestial Cosmetics, we have included the store, stockist and social media information below.  Thank you for sharing your time with us, Nicki.



Instagram:  @celestialcosmetics
Twitter:  @celestialcos

International Stockists:


2 comments:

  1. This glitter is unbelievably sparkly! It is a fine holographic silver glitter which really catches the light. Have used for a solid glitter accent nail, glitter tips, subtle all over glitter, mixed in colours. When sealing the glitter with the top coat I would recommend pouring some of your top coat on foil to apply and clean the brush before replacing in the bottle. ♥

    Thanks
    Johnag | Gade Cosmetics

    ReplyDelete